2008 AZ. Black Film Festival

2008 AZ.  Black Film Festival
The Auteur and his friends....

18 July 2008

Looking back.... just a little....

This week had me feeling nostalgiac. Maybe it has to do with my estranged Mom's birthday or the fact that I will be saying good-bye to Arizona sometime real soon.

These days have left me with a sad disposition, nothing like driving through the old childhood neighborhoods. Its amazing how much of the early life remains with us. I have been living in the city for nearly eighteen years.... and I have never really had the need to revisit the old times, just knowing those neighborhoods existed was enough until this week.

I imagined the morning sun still rising and resting over the same roofs, the same trees, the same cracked sidewalks of the old neighborhood.

Visiting them again...was like seeing my childhood spirit ghostly playing outside as soon as the sun came out.... the monster palm tree... the china berry tree.... the bright orange skateboard.. Tina Rena's crazy brother Anastasio always eating some homemade burrito--we all knew his Mom was great.... the steps that I crashed into with my rollerskates-- had my Mom plucking shards of glass out of my knees and screaming at me in the same breath.

And I always loved that large house the color of burnt umber and brown-- at the corner, it loomed with mystery and on a warm summer night... it was all a child needed to spike the imagination...

Whatever you're thinking, you're wrong about going home again. Home is where the heart is... take it from a gypsy moon child who never really had a home.

No comments:

Chimeara's World


Global Warming Myth